Wednesday, July 17, 2019

KILLING WITH CONFETTI by Peter Lovesey

This is my first book by Peter Lovesey and all I can say is W0W!  Where has he been all my reading life and shame on me for not meeting him sooner!  I love mysteries but to read one laced with humor is this reader's paradise.  An imaginative plot filled with uniquely  fascinating characters kept me up most of the night as I simply couldn't put the book down.

    You'd think an upcoming wedding would be a joyous occasion  - parties, presents, showers - not quite.  Caroline the daughter of crime kingpin Joe Irving turns down the proposal from the man she loves, Ben, who is the son of Deputy Chief Constable George Brace.  She has never told Ben about her father and is positive their marriage is impossible.  Not  so.  Not only is it not impossible but the happy event will be hosted by Joe himself who will soon be released from prison.  Joe will spare no expense for his daughter's big day with the ceremony to be held in the Bath Abbey and an extravagant reception in the historic Roman Baths.  However, any number of Joe's enemies may well see this as a perfect opportunity to get rid of the old man.   How to protect everyone?  Enter Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond.  Brace orders Peter to be in charge of security for the wedding, and there is no way Peter can say no.

    In the past Peter's duties have not included personal protection, and he is appalled that the police department is to protect the country's most well known criminal.  Leave it to the agile Lovesey to come up with such an ingenious plot.  What follows are more twists and turns than are found in a pretzel factory leaving readers thoroughly engrossed and unable to stop turning pages.  I found myself guessing until the very last page - at which point I promised myself to read the other Lovesey books.  Who else gives us a compelling mystery that is also laugh-out-loud funny?

- Gail Cooke







  • ,

  • or

  • No comments: