Friday, December 28, 2012

THE MARSEILLE CAPER AUDIO EDITION





Though I’ve said it before I’ll say it again - Mr. Mayle is always a witty, convivial, boon companion.  More years ago than I care to mention he hooked me with “A Year In Provence,” and don’t believe I’ve missed an outing with him since.  Granted, I wasn’t always totally enthusiastic about each title, but thoroughly enjoyed each just the same.  His breezy, entertaining tales always leaves me smiling as does his latest The Marseille Caper.  It’s one more dream of a trip when one can just sit back, not think too deeply but simply enjoy.

This time we’re in Marseille where Sam Levitt makes his second appearance and with his lady friend, Elena, put their sticky fingers in the real estate pie.  Of course, they’ve come up with a scheme to make their zillionaire client even wealthier but for this reader that is an aside as I’m sighing contentedly when treated to visions of local scenes plus chatter re wine and local cuisine.

Mayle is the ultimate host, full knowing what his guests will relish and ladling it out generously.  Love the voice performance of stage, screen and television actor Robin Sachs - totally beguiling.  Lucky for us he came over from the UK some years back and has created an impressive body of work since his arrival.  He’s the perfect guide for this romp through Southern France.

- Gail Cooke

No comments: